Saturday, August 7, 2010

Finding Inspiration in... Modern House!

It's almost 2am and I should be asleep like the my son who is in dreamland next to me. However, I have to tell you about the kick I got today browsing through a homeware store and just getting inspiration and ideas from all the cool stuff I saw... and bought (Oh dear! Hope my husband is not reading this).

I love looking at dinnerware, bakeware, cookware... are we starting to see a trend here? Oh and furniture too. Stores like Bed, Bath and Beyond, Habitat and The Conran Shop are like art galleries for me. Art that I can afford too! So when I found Modern House (think Ikea but much less mass produced with more variety of styles) in Times Square, there was a little current running from my toes to the top of my head and I just gravitated to towards the entrance.


I am sure there are more stores like this but this was conveniently located (they have opened a new store in New Core Shopping Centre, Gangnam) like a 'high street' store... I know, I know but in a mall. They have all kinds of home furnishings for the home from furniture to soft furnishings and things to beautify your garden. In fact a lot of their garden equipment/furniture can be used in the home!

I especially like their version of a storm lantern that you can hang which is made in a widely spaced wire mesh. They also have a lovely collection of aromatherapy oils with scented sticks (KRW25,000) per box, very cute kids bedding collection (rather expensive though in my opinion), storage options, furniture for every room in the house and lots of lots of dinnerware. Their collection ranges from retro to modern with a bit of shabby chic thrown in. Some things are 'dare I say' cheap and others overpriced.

There were many cupcake related things you could get from a plate with a cupcake print on it, to mugs and boxes. I didn't succumb to all but one. It's a little cupcake cup (get it? clever ain't it?!) with a straw. I could resist and happily parted with KRW5,900.


I find lots of inspirations in stores like these and found a set of colourful tumblers and I got a fabulous idea on how to use them. Keep your eye on my blog and they'll appear soon!

Look at the shocked look on Mei's face (Mei is one of the characters in Totoro) when she see's the 'giant' cupcake! Medium Totoro and Small Totoro is just along for the ride.

Click on the links above to find out more about their store. You won't be disappointed.

* I wrote this post 2 nights ago and only managed to post it today. Had to sort out the pics. : )

2 comments:

Thank you for your comment.