Sunday, July 18, 2010

How to Make Caster Sugar from Granulated Sugar

This is the first of my Handy Tips posts and I'm going to focus on sugar. Sometimes a recipe (eg. meringue, caramel) requires you to use Castor or Superfine sugar and if you are like me who lives in a country where caster sugar is not commonly stocked in your supermarket then you just have to make your own.

The sugar I find in Lotte Mart or E-Mart are granulated sugar. The other option is powdered sugar or icing sugar which is not the same. The former is too coarse and the latter is too fine. Recipes like meringue and caramel use caster so that the sugar to melts quicker as there is little or no heating involved.

You will need:
Granulated Sugar (whatever amount you want, you can even make some to store in a jar)
Blender/Food Processor

First of all, ensure that the blender is dry as water will cause the sugar to stick together. I'm sure you know that but I just thought I'd say it anyway. ; P Put the granulated sugar into the blender or food processor and whizz it in short bursts. Remember, we are going for fine crystals here not the powdery white stuff so don't over whizz. Depending on how powerful your blender is, this should be over in seconds. Then voila! Caster sugar. On with your recipe then.

7 comments:

  1. THANKS FOR THAT. I HAVE ALWAYS GOT GRANULATED SUGAR BUT AS THEY USUALLY SELL CASTER SUGAR IN SMALL BAGS, I AM ALWAYS RUNNING OUT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really Thanks! I was wondering if you could make a sugarless cupcake even though no one at home is diabetic! :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never tried completely sugarless cupcakes or cakes yet but I do reduce the amount of sugar I use occassionally. A lot of recipes require you to beat the sugar and butter till white and creamy as one of the elements which allows the cake to rise, if you remove the sugar from the recipe, I would suggest finding another ingredient/s to replace it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it works grt, tnks

    ReplyDelete
  5. wat if u dont have a blender,cause i dont :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe if you had a mortar and pestle?

    ReplyDelete
  7. No blender what do I do

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.